Post 4

. I have interacted with a couple of my classmates on Twitter but not much outside of that. I have found it beneficial because I am learning stuff about certain technologies that I am unfamiliar with and cannot download on my Mac. I think Twitter would be a helpful tool in my future career because it can help me relate to the students I plan to teach. Most if not all high school kids are active on some form of social media and Twitter is a great platform. I can also use Twitter as a basis for possible projects. For example, during my senior year of high school, my creative writing teacher, who also taught freshman English, shared with me a project she was working on with her students about making Instagram profiles for characters in the book they were reading at the time. I could potentially use Twitter as my preferred platform and provide a fun and engaging way for my students to look at English and Literature.

. The digital divide affects students in schools by giving students like Student A in the podcast sort of a leg-up compared to those like Student B. It can greatly affect how well a student does in a class and can also affect their future experiences in college and their future careers. Some causes of the digital divide can be: environment, socioeconomic status, personal preferences, etc. Student A, for example, came from a technology-centered environment, unlike Student B whose socioeconomic status prevented him from having the same experiences with technology as Student A. I might experience both of these types of students even at the high school level and this will affect my teaching strategies because I will have to formulate my lessons to accommodate both types of students to ensure the success of everyone in my classroom.

. With teaching high school English, I would expect to use a variety of technologies. I would try to introduce Grammerly which is a grammar tool that helps students by proofreading their papers and assignments while they type them. I would also introduce presentation software like Powerpoint, Prezi, and Google Slides to introduce students to a variety of different platforms when giving presentations in my class as well as future presentations they will have to give in college. I would also use Kahoot which is a relatively new technology that allows students to participate in sort of a class-wide jeopardy by just using their phones. I have used it as a student and made Kahoot's for presentations and I have found it is a useful tool for a quick and fun review for a test or quiz.

Comments